A bathroom renovation is a great way to add function and beauty to your home. In fact, bathroom remodeling can increase your property value by over 60% if you add good lighting, ventilation, new wall and floor tiles, and an updated vanity.
That said, your bathroom renovation can be as modest or luxurious as you wish. Start with this checklist to plan your project and create the dream bathroom for your home today.
First, Some Key Questions About Bathroom Renovation
Before you dive into Pinterest for bathroom renovation inspiration, start with the following practical questions:
- Individual or family use? Determine the number and age of who will use the renovated bathroom. Elders have different needs compared to children, as do single people compared to couples.
- Shower, bathtub, or both? Each of these requires different designs, fixtures, and budgets.
- DIY or contractor? Your choice depends on your time, budget, plumbing, electrical skill, and the size of the bathroom.
- One-time installation or step-by-step? Your schedule and budget determine whether you’ll do your bathroom renovation in one go or distribute the tasks over time when you can afford it.
- Basic or luxury features? You can still splurge on luxurious bathroom features like a rain shower system, mirror lights, or heated floors even with a limited budget.
- Keep the plumbing or move it? Only move the existing plumbing if it’s vital. Otherwise, it increases your bathroom renovation cost. Instead, update the sinks, showers, toilet and bathtub, but keep them in the same spot.
Essential Bathroom Renovation Guide and Checklist
Your bathroom renovation doesn’t have to be a nightmare. Use this checklist to guide you through the bathroom remodeling process.
Step 1: Brainstorm
Gather beautiful bathroom photos online through search engines or social media channels. Pinterest is a must-try for design ideas, themes and collections. Be prepared for an overwhelming range of choices, but save what draws your eye.
You can also take your brainstorming session to your local home improvement stores. Take some time on a weekend and see their collection of fixtures like sinks and lights. Snap photos of what looks and feels good to you, and save them in your inspiration collection.
Next, build a mood board or collage to capture your ideal bathroom design style. This helps to bring your vision together to plan the rest of the bathroom renovation process. Don’t limit yourself to one mood board; create several and choose your favorite. Gather these ideas at least six months before your renovation date to give yourself enough time to visualize your perfect bathroom.
Step 2: List Every Element in Your Bathroom
You’ll be surprised by how many individual items go into creating your bathroom from floor to ceiling. Walk around the space with a notebook in hand and list everything you see, plus what’s hidden from sight. This way, you’ll notice what bothers you about the bathroom, what to keep, replace, or add, and the general scope of the renovation project.
Some things to include are:
- Shelves and cabinets
- Counter spaces
- Shower head and drain
- Shower curtain or door
- Soap dispensers
- Power outlets
- Toilet paper holders
- Exhaust fan
Step 3: Choose Between DIY Or Contractor
Bathroom remodeling goes one of two ways: you can do it yourself or hire a professional contractor to handle the project. Now that you have a good idea of your bathroom design, and know all the elements that go into it, determine if you have the skills to DIY your renovation.
You can also pull in friends or relatives who can handle lighting, plumbing, tile work, electrical and HVAC to renovate your bathroom. Another option is to decide which parts of the bathroom remodeling to leave to the experts. For example, you could install the vanity and cabinets yourself but have a contractor install your bathtub or lavatory.
Of course, you’ll have much better results with a bathroom renovation contractor from start to finish. A professional bathroom renovation expert is the right professional for the job. They have the best tools to deliver your dream bathroom and guarantee that your new space will last for decades.
Keep the following tips in mind to choose the best contractor for your bathroom renovation:
- Get recommendations from neighbors, friends or relatives who have done bathroom remodeling in the past
- Evaluate positive and negative reviews on the contractor’s or business rating websites
- Check their social media pages for photos of their bathroom renovation projects. You can judge their work quality and see if it matches your design ideas
- Check that their work experience is enough to guarantee good work. A new company may deliver excellent results, but an established contractor has a diverse background in bathroom renovations to inform your project
- Contact your shortlisted bathroom remodeling contractors and note their responsiveness. Go for a contractor that replies promptly to your inquiries
Step 4: Prepare Your Budget
Your bathroom remodeling budget depends on different types of costs:
- Bathroom size
- Floor plan
- Lost income if you take time away from work
Review your design mood boards based on these factors to get a realistic idea of what your new bathroom will cost. Compare estimates from each contractor to determine the best value for your bathroom renovation budget.
An experienced contractor can also offer unique cost-saving opportunities for your project. Add a 10% contingency to serve as a buffer in case your bathroom renovation reveals unexpected expenses. Finalize your renovation budget at least five months before the project date.
Step 5: Schedule Your Bathroom Renovation Time
Generally, a bathroom remodeling project takes months planning for a day or two of on-site work. Choose a date that works well with your work, family and personal commitments. You want to oversee the project without having distractions like doctor’s appointments or dinner with your in-laws.
Add an extra day to your renovation schedule to accommodate surprises like your contingency budget. Even an experienced contractor will encounter obstacles such as electrical re-routing, replacing the subfloors, or inspection delays.
Step 6: Hire the Right Contractor
At this point, you already know how much your bathroom remodeling will cost and have solid quotes from your shortlisted contractors. The next step is to choose the available contractor within your timeframe.
Make sure that your project date is set. Such planning helps your contractor to coordinate your project alongside others in their operations. Work with your contractor to develop a project outline and materials list to plan your bathroom renovation.
Step 7: Order Your Materials
Bathroom renovation materials often need plenty of time to deliver, so place your orders at least two months before your project date. Aim to have all your materials with two or three weeks to spare.
Countercheck all the measurements as you order the materials. The general rule is that ready-made materials like showers, tubs, and fixtures have a shorter lead time than custom-made items like cabinets and vanities. Of course, include small local businesses as you shop for bathroom remodeling materials.
Larger home improvement stores may have more variety, but small companies may also offer customized deals for unique products.
Step 8: Mentally Prepare for The Bathroom Renovation
Your materials are ready, and your contractor is good to go, so all you need now is to prepare psychologically for the big day.
Use about three days to the renovation date to:
- Notify your colleagues that you’re taking time off
- Clear out your bathroom medicine cabinet
- Move cleaning supplies from the bathroom to your pantry
- Remove towels, toilet paper, bathroom mats and other items
- Remove any appliances like the washing machine and dryer
- Clean the bathroom as best as you can
These activities help prepare you for the bathroom renovation and save time on the construction day. Since the contractor will find a clean, cleared-out bathroom, they can get straight to work instead of clearing messes or moving appliances around. It enables you to stick to your schedule and budget.
What To Expect From NKYB Bathroom Renovation
- Free design consultation to offer expert insights into your bathroom mood board
- A comprehensive estimate for your bathroom design to match your budget and save money
- A 3D rendering of your ideal bathroom, complete with accurate measurements, fixtures and colors
- Unlimited revisions for your 3D visualization to get the perfect bathroom style for your needs
- Ordering and storing your bathroom renovation materials until the construction date
- Expedited building permits and approvals, so you don’t need to handle any paperwork
- A dedicated project manager to walk with you throughout the bathroom renovations
- An efficient, experienced on-site construction crew working under your project manager’s supervision
- A five-year NYKB labor warranty to repair or replace anything within your renovated bathroom at no additional cost
As you can see, NYKB takes all the effort from your bathroom remodeling project to deliver a high-quality space within your budget and schedule. Don’t put off your bathroom renovation any longer. Contact NYKB today.